|Welcome to South Hayward United Methodist Church! We are a caring and diverse congregation located in the southern part of Hayward, California.|
Have questions? Call the Church office at 510-780-9599.
Church Office Hours: 9-12 p.m. Tuesdays
|This interim site aims to keep you updated on Church news during the Covid-19 crisis.|
Explore your Spiritual Gifts!
You can take the spiritual gifts survey at:
Learn all about spiritual gifts:
Online Giving through Zelle
Here are the general instructions from the Zelle website:
1) Enroll your email or US Mobile number through your online bank account or mobile banking app or with the Zelle app.
2) Add South Hayward UMC as a recipient with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
3) You can now start online donations by entering the amount to be sent and following the instructions.
October Church Calendar
Office Hours – 9-12 p.m. Tuesday
October 3, Sunday: Adult Sunday School, 9-9:30 a.m. Children/Youth Sunday School, 9:30-10 a.m. Holy Communion Sunday – Zoom Worship, 10:30 a.m. and In-person, 12 p.m. MYF meeting after Zoom service. Fijian Language Ministry meeting and BOT site meeting at 1 p.m.
October 6, Wednesday: Belong Bible Study 6-7 p.m. Finance, 7 p.m. Zoom
October 9, Saturday: Finance ChurchTrac trial, 9-10 a.m. Christian Education, 10-11 a.m. Both via Zoom.
October 10, Sunday: Sunday School, 9-9:30 a.m., Fiji Independence Day Worship Service, Semiti Ravatu, speaker. Zoom, 10:30 a.m. In-person, 12 p.m. Staff Parish Relations Committee – Zoom, 2 p.m.
October 13, Wednesday: Belong Bible Study, 6-7 p.m. Communications Committee, 7 p.m. Zoom
October 17, Sunday: Sunday School, 9-9:30 a.m. Filipino Heritage Month Worship Service, Aurora Castro, speaker. Zoom, 10:30 a.m., In-person, 12 p.m. BOT – 2:00 p.m., Zoom
October 19, Tuesday: WON Committee – 7 p.m. Zoom
October 20, Wednesday: Belong Bible Study, 6-7 p.m. Lay Leadership and Nominations Committee, 7 p.m. Zoom
October 23, Saturday: Admin Council Meeting, 10-11:30 a.m. – Zoom
October 24, Sunday: Sunday School, 9-9:30 a.m. Zoom Worship, 10:30 a.m. In-person,
October 27, Wednesday: Belong Bible Study, 6-7 p.m. Social Justice Committee, 7 p.m. Zoom
October 29-31, Friday-Sunday: CA-NV Annual Conference; Pastor Rochelle and Lute Dakunivosa, Lay Member to the Annual Conference attending.
October 31, MYF Sunday: 10:30 a.m. Zoom – No In-person Worship Service
November 7, Sunday: 1:30 p.m. Charge Conference with DS Staci Current – Zoom
Tips for Attending Zoom Meetings
- Get to know the “mute” and “unmute” controls! It’s polite to keep your mic muted throughout the service/meeting except when you’re talking – you’d be surprised how sensitive a computer mic is! In the lower left corner, you’ll see a picture of a microphone. Click it to mute or unmute. A red slash across the mic means you are muted.
2. Zoom has a chat feature you can use to say hello or send a brief message during the meeting. You invoke it by clicking Chat in the meeting controls on the bottom command bar; this will open a chat box on the right. You can type a brief message to everyone or click on the drop down next to To: if you wish to message a specific person. After typing, press Enter to send the message. The Chat icon turns orange when a new chat message is posted.
3. If you’re having any problems with the sound (hearing or being heard), try a headset. The kind you have for your cell phone would work fine. Plug it in to the audio jack on your computer.
4. (Laptop/desktop) To better see the Pastor/speaker during a video call, you can maximize their picture by clicking their thumbnail image and choosing Pin Video from the menu.
To enjoy sequential singing, click Speaker View on the upper right of the screen. To return to viewing everyone, click Gallery View. (Note: It helps during communal singing to pin the music leader’s video.)
5. Finally, you can use the Reaction control on the bottom command bar to offer applause or a ‘thumbs up’.